Disciples Are Not ‘Sinners’
‘If ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.’ ~ Luke 6:33
Most all of modern Christendom teaches that not just unbelievers are sinners but that also Disciples are all sinners. They teach that even the holiest children of God are still ‘sinners’.
Anyone who claims different they speak against and claim they are not being humble. What does the Bible teach about this term sinners? Does the Bible teach that Disciples are sinners? What will happen to sinners?
1.1 The Bible Teaches A Clear Contrast Between Saints & Sinners
Matthew 9:13 ~ I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
- Jesus makes a clear distinction between righteous people and sinners. To our Lord, these are not the same people.
Luke 6:32-33 ~ For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
- Jesus says that we, the righteous, must love in a much better way than sinners do if we want to be saved.
- We cannot but understand that in the mind of Jesus sinners were an entirely different class of people than the righteous.
I Pe 4:18 ~ And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
- Peter also understood and taught the concept that the righteous were a different people then those who were termed sinners and ungodly.
Romans 5:19 ~ For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
- Those who have encountered the salvation of God are no longer termed sinners but now they are called righteous!
1.2 Sinners Are Those Who Need To Repent Of Sin
James 4:8 ~ Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
- James says that there are backslidden people who need to cry out to God in wholehearted repentance.
- He terms these people sinners and teaches that it is sinners who need to cleanse their hands and purify their hearts.
James 5:19-20 ~ Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
- Sinners are those who have erred from the truth, not those who fully embrace and follow it!
- Sinners are those who need to be converted, not those who have already repented from sin and been converted to a righteous life.
Luke 15:10 ~ Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
- When Jesus wanted to communicate to us a particular class of people who needed to repent he used the word sinner.
Psalms 51:12-13 ~ Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
- David says that sinners are those who need to be taught the ways of God and converted to him and his truth.
1.3 Disciples Were Sinners But Are No Longer Sinners
Romans 5:8 ~ But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- Paul says that there was a time in the past lives of the Disciples when they were sinners. It was while they were in this state that Jesus died for them.
- Notice the phrase ‘while we were yet sinners’. The Bible never speaks of Disciples as presently being sinners but rather as those who were sinners.
Galatians 2:17-18 ~ But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
- A Disciple is one who has had sin destroyed within him by the power of the Gospel [Romans 6:6].
- Paul said that if we allow these sins to take hold of us again then be will make ourselves sinners
John 9:31 ~ Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
- Worshippers of God who do his will were sinners but are not any longer and the proof is that God hears their prayers.
- God does not hear the prayers of those termed sinners.
1.4 Disciples Are Not Supposed To Hang Out With Sinners
Psalms 1:1&5 ~ Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
- Men of God are to not hang around people that the Bible terms sinners.
Proverbs 1:10 ~ My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
- Sinners are not sons of God but rather children of the Devil who will seek to entice others to sin and become sinners like them.
1.5 Sinners Will Be Trapped And Ultimately Overthrown
Proverbs 13:6 ~ Righteousness keepeth him that is upright in the way: but wickedness overthroweth the sinner.
- All sinners will be overthrown by their wickedness.
Ecclesiastes 7:26 ~ And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her.
- Sinners are not those who please God but rather those who God allows to be trapped by ungodly women and destroyed.
Ecclesiastes 2:26 ~ For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before God.
- Sinners are not those who are good in the sight of God but are those who God chooses to give hardships to.
- God will take away what sinners have and give it to those who are not sinners but are actually good before God.
1.6 All Sinners Will Be Judged And Totally Destroyed
God forbid that we be those who are termed sinners. The Bible is clear that sinners will be those who are judged and destroyed.
Isaiah 13:9 ~ Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
- On judgment day God will lay the earth desolate and bring about a great destruction.
- This destruction will not overtake Disciples but will overtake those who are sinners.
Amos 9:10 ~ All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil shall not overtake nor prevent us.
- Lastly look at the extreme warning here that there are many of God’s very own people who have gone back into sin and are now sinners.
- These sinners have been deceived with Satan’s lie of Eternal Security. They took the bait and think that even though they are sinners they will not be overtaken in judgment day.
- Always remember that all sinners, regardless of whether they are the people of God or not, will be destroyed in the judgment of God.
If this is how the Bible uses the term sinners and never applies the label to Disciples should we not use the term in the same manner?
God forbid that we mend the words of God and take terms God meant only for the ungodly and apply them to his righteous holy children!
Remember, this is not a moot point or disagreement of terms. It is very important that we have the truth on this because as a man thinketh so he is. We naturally will continue in sin if we think of ourselves as sinners because only those who count themselves dead to sin [Romans 6:11] can be free from its bondage.